Monday, August 24, 2015

MattMobile Steering Wheel and Vac Form Table

Another great few days of productivity and much as been accomplished! Let us start off with a little show and tell.

Here is my recently acquired steering wheel for the MattMobile:

To my eye, it is perfect! I can't wait to get it installed.

While kicking around ideas for the Wonder Woman Dawn of Justice shield, which I am also blogging about, I decided it would be in my best interest to build my own vac forming table. It's something I've wanted for a long time, but never really had a great reason to build. But with this project upon me, the timing was right. I watched a few youtube videos on how they are made, and to get a good machine up and running seems surprisingly simple. I already have a shop vac, so most of the expense is already done.

I started with a piece of plywood that I had lying around the shop. I believe this is left over wood from the Tardis build. I cut a couple 26" x 26" squares. I then measured off a grid of 1"x1" squares.

The fun really began when I had to drill out all of those holes. Tedious, but really no way around it.

I then cut out the walls and glued them into place on the top piece.

A few wood screws later and it was time to attach the base.

And no, I didn't drop it.

I then used a hole boring drill bit and a set of metal files to carve out the hole for the hose. Fits like a glove!

And after a couple short hours of work, the table was complete. The next thing I need to do is build a frame for holding the plastic, and a chimney to channel the heat from the heating source. Honestly I think the hardest part of this project will be finding a good heat source. I already have a few things in mind, but the bummer is heaters are out of season right now.

Anyhow, that's it for now! I'll post again once I have some more progress.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw your video about your Basal Cell Carcinoma on youtube and I have some questions because I'm worried about having Mohs done in at 2 weeks. I have had this mark on my nose for about 3 to maybe 4 years now its on my nasal sidewall and it started just like yours little scab that would form then fall off all the time then it was just a red patch like eczema. Its now like a dent on the side of my nose but I don't know if thats from the picking at it. How long did you have yours for and what subtype did you have? Thank you!

MattMunson said...

Hey Dekno,

I had the little splotch on the side of my nose for a couple of years before I decided to do anything about it. Of course, I wish I had taken action earlier. Might have saved me my face. But oh well! Hope your procedure went well!

Unknown said...

Where is the mattmobile? I have so many questions I want to ask you about it. I'd also love to show you my Kenner batmobile project!