Thursday, July 19, 2012
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
It's also really great to see other folks from the community helping to build the online knowledge base, so please support Guri by commenting on her video with any helpful suggestions or kudos, and "like" it so she knows people are watching.
Sunday, July 15, 2012
Saturday, July 7, 2012
This is that main dip/bulge problem spot on the passenger side door area. I've really made a ton of progress, though it's probably hard to tell. I think the next step with this part, as with most of the other stuff, is to hit it with a coat of primer to see where we stand. As it is, there are so many different colors and textures that it's kind of hard to really see where the problems lie.
More work on the drivers side front fender. This part is really coming together, and some wet sanding has made it very smooth. Still some final detail work to do, but the dip on this side has really been smoothed out to my satisfaction.
Here I'm cleaning up one of the seams in the body, which also turns out to be a bulge/dip issue. I may end up relocating that wheel well about a quarter inch forward, as it seems to be a bit wonky.
More progress on the gas cap area. I'm at a point now where I'm doing beauty passes with the putty, meaning I'm just filling in little cracks and pock marks. I think the overall topology of this area has come together nicely.
I've started working on the shallow dip on the front passenger side fender. This is my first layer of putty, and you can see there are some issues with it. But for a first pass, it accomplished a lot.
I don't know how things like this end up in the casting, but here they are. It's like a spider crack or something. There's all kinds of these deep little cracks in the gel coat all over the place. I don't really think sanding them down would be the right answer, as that would mean removal of maybe a 1/16th of an inch of surface. So I've taken to puttying them in, and then sanding out the putty.
Lastly, here's the drivers side intake vent. The area above it had some weird valleys in it, very chunky looking. I've made my first pass with the putty in this area, and it really helped to level things out. That's it for now. I'm very anxious to start building out the cockpit, but I'm still waiting to get my metal order finalized to make that happen. With San Deigo Comic Con looming on the horizon, I fear that not a lot of work will get accomplished over the next week or so.
Friday, July 6, 2012
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
This is a really fun tutorial on the methods and materials I use to run fiberglass for my props, costume, models, or batmobiles.
A huge thanks to my buddy Ewan who drove down from LA to spend the afternoon with me making a mess in my garage, and taking over as camera bro when necessary.
If you have anything that you would like to see tutorials of in the future, please let me know in the comments section.
Monday, July 2, 2012
If you are searching for one, ebay is your best bet as they are fairly plentiful. I accidentally found an item listed under "jabra wave" that appears to be a different product, but uses the exact same shell as the BT250v. There are a couple selling for under 20 bucks right now.
This picture was posted on the RPF shortly after I announced my find of the earpiece used in a Jack Harkness ear piece.
Based on the success I had in my previous hunt, I decided the same methodology was in order. This basically meant using Google image search in combination with Amazon.
The key points I was riffing off from the picture are the three slices in the ear piece along the top of Jack's ear, and the near vertical line on the part under his ear lobe, where it transitions from the ear piece into the mic with the word "Torchwood" on it. Also, I made the assumption that this mouth piece was an add on. You can also see in the picture what appears to be a button on the piece under his ear lob.
A few pages down, I found this image, which looks like it might be the right ear piece, but obviously this was of the opposite side of the thing, and has some minor differences. But I was definitely on the right track.
I zoomed in on the logo and realized it said "Jabra" which helped immensely in my search. Then I just looked for "Jabra blue tooth" on google, and was very quickly led to this picture, which I think is the right one.
This picture comes from this website.
It's not that good of a picture, so it's hard to see details clearly, but all of the tell tale signs are there. The color cannot be confirmed, but it looks pretty darn close.
I've found that there are some non trivial differences between the Jabra BT250 and the BT250v, the main one being the color. I'll need to go and watch the episode that this one appears in to be sure, but I'm feeling very confident that it's one of the two Jabra sets identified here. There's also a BT200 that has the same body shape, and the coloring is different.
I actually like the BT200 the best, but the upper ear piece is not black. Definitely need to go watch that episode.
Here's a link to Nick's website if you'd like to check out some of his work:
Here's the pic Nick posted:
I immediately recognized the ear loop as something I had seen before, possibly at work. It looked like the back of a hands free phone set.
Thank goodness for Amazon.com, because after skimming through 9 pages of their head sets I found the one that looked right. Here's a comparison picture showing the Plantronics M220 headset compared to Nick's hero prop:
Clearly, there's no mistaking that this is the right piece. If you want to order one for yourself, so that you can build up your own headset, they are five bucks on amazon. Here's the link: