Saturday, May 19, 2012

DareDevil Belt Buckle Replacement

Today I had some free time and finally got around to upgrading the belt buckle on my UD Replicas DareDevil suit.

For reference, I already have a couple of blog posts about this topic.

DareDevil Replacement Belt Buckle Arrives
DareDevil Belt Buckle Ordered

I started out by drilling out the rivets that were already on the belt.

Here's the first strap with the rivets removed. I used needle nosed pliers to crimp the rivet stem smaller so that it would slip through the hole easier.

I'm using this rivet kit from Tandy. Honestly, I'm not a fan of Tandy products. I feel that they are really geared towards the hobbyist, or home "crafter" type person. Kind of on the same level as Michael's. But hey, that's just like, my opinion, man. As the Dude would say.

And here's a little shot of what comes in the kit.

Here's everything all put into place and lined up. Then it's just a matter of hitting it with a hammer in the right place. If I was doing this pro style, I would have found an arbor press or something so that I could apply pressure smoothly and evenly. But I don't have that, so it was hammer time.

And here's what it looks like all done. Of course, I still need to paint the rivets, but that's the least of my worries.

That's pretty much it!

Here's some links if you want to play along:
Belt Buckle
Rivet Kit

No comments: