Friday, October 15, 2010

More Dremel Action On The Armor

God bless Dremels! That's all I have to say today. I would be totally lost without it. I can tell you that for sure.

Today has already seen me spend three hours with a constantly running Dremel in my hand. And my hands are pretty sore at this point. I'm working on cleaning up the back sides of all the body armor pieces. Just smoothing them out and cleaning up the edges so they will sit flat on the body mesh when I go to glue it down.

Here's what I have finished so far.



The blue tape on the front of the armor is absolutely critical. If you are going to do your own armor clean, I cannot recommend this enough. The deal is, the dremel sometimes slips. Try as hard as I can, I would say about once per piece, the dremel slips over the edge and swoops down onto the outward facing side of the armor. The first piece I trimmed got a couple little scratches as a result of not using the tape. But after that, it was tape all the way. When the dremel slips, it just scuffs the tape. Which is easily removable.

This is all that I have left to do, and then I'm done cleaning up the armor. I'm looking forward to being done! And it is that thought that keeps me going!



After all the armor is cleaned up, I will need to clean up my living room. It's a mess right now. Chunks of half melted latex everywhere.

I think the next step will be to do the final clean up of the mesh outer suit. You know, take care of all the little random tasks that I mentioned in a previous post. I want the body suit to be all done before I glue the armor on. I fear that once the armor is in place, it will be a lot hard to deal with the suit, and certainly impossible to feed it into a sewing machine.

No comments: