Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Boot Stamping

Many moons ago, I made THIS POST about the boot progress. What excited me most was the leather stamping they had done. I sent the company in Argentina (who has yet to return my recent emails asking for either a progress update or a refund, by the way. NOT cool) a cad file, and next thing I knew, they had that leather stamped out. I was stunned.

So now that I'm pursuing different options with the boots, I find myself needing to make that stamped leather myself. What I thought would be a complicated and expensive process turns out to be much easier than I suspected. I guess it's an etching process that is used to make those stamps, so it's pretty easy, very precise, and not very expensive. So for a couple hundred bucks, I can get a stamp made that will stamp out the pattern onto a correctly sized piece of leather for the boot. That is great news.

I've already found a place on the web that has offered to do it for me at a very reasonable price, and has approved my artwork for it.

All I need to do now is get a final look at a real pair of boots so that I can figure out how big it needs to be. I also believe that there is ANOTHER stamped pattern on a different panel on the boot, so I will need to get a stamp made for that too.

Overall, I'm very pleased with these discoveries, and to find that it's well within budget.

Not that this project has a budget, but you know what I mean.

No comments: