Saturday, March 15, 2008

Rifle Update

A tiny update on the rifle, which is of course, the raison d'etre for this blog. I got started masking off the left hand side last night. Still a ways to go, but it's progress nonetheless. I would REALLY like to get this masking stuff wrapped up by the end of this weekend.



And since this blog has sort of turned into an all purpose prop blog, I'll throw this one up there too. This is a reproduction of the photo from the very end of "The Shining", the fantastic Stanley Kubrik film. Go see it if you haven't. This entire prop cost me under 6 dollars. The graphic itself was made available via a fellow prop maker. I added in a white border, and sent it off to costco to have it digitially printed. I think it cost me 60 cents. The frame I founda at Michael's for 4.99. The frame is not 100% accurate, but it looks very similar to the one seen on screen. And besides, who cares.

I like this piece because it's sort of a "stealth prop". You could put this on your mantle, or on your desk, and there's a good chance nobody would know it's a prop replica... unless they asked. The same cannot be said for a lightsaber, or a blaster, or something like that. Sounds like a whole new category of props!

No comments: